Friday, January 31, 2014

Super Bowl Fun - Salsa

We had a Superbowl pitch-in at work. It's so much fun. My co-workers are pretty good cooks. We put up a table & people bring in way to much food. There's always a variety & it's out there all day long. It's one occasion where I definitely have treats :-) This time I was commissioned by Cindy to bring in something healthy. I still wanted to have fun, and going with the theme, I decided guacamole & salsa.

Salsa is basic & delicious. I didn't used to like it until I tried some made with fresh cilantro. It made me like salsa & cilantro. It's as if two of my mortal enemies have become my friends forever. They are my immortal frenemies! 


Salsa is clean, fresh, & healthy without any modifications. Any regular recipe will do & there are tons of variations. I make mine with the following:

2 gianormous tomatoes, diced  
1/2 a medium onion, diced
1/2 jalapeƱo pepper, seeded & diced
A ton of fresh cilantro (probably about 1/4 cup once it's all chopped)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp lime juice

Mix all the ingredients together & let them sit for awhile (or store in the fridge overnight - that's the best option) so the flavors can marry (or at least form a solid commitment that will lead to that.)  Storing in the fridge overnight is a flavor marriage. 
Letting it sit for a good hour is a solid engagement.  
But throwing it together five minutes before serving is a blind date set up by someone who doesn't like you a lot.
I love the freshness of the cilantro & lime. I also love knowing I can pretty much eat a bucket of this & not gain a pound. The jalopeno gives it a nice kick, and it goes great with blue corn chips. (Just be sure to buy the ones with a short ingredient list.) 

Now if only Peyton could win this Super Bowl, my weekend is set!

No comments:

Post a Comment