Friday, January 17, 2014

Low Cal Spaghetti


I know, I know, I'm not counting calories this week, but that doesn't mean I'm eating n'importe quoi. (That's my fancy French way of saying whatever.) Before eating I'm praying to honor the LORD with the way I fuel this body He's given me. That means no giant plates of pasta. I just don't think He designed me to sit & devour insanely large plates of pasta. He did however, design me to eat plate after plate of winter squash.

Today for lunch I replaced 3/4 cup of spaghetti with 3/4 cups of spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash is AWESOME. It's thinner than spaghetti, & a tiny bit sweeter. It's obviously not as starchy as pasta but the sweetness in the flavor mimics that starchy flavor. Plus it's easier to chew & compare these carb counts:

1 cup of spaghetti = 44 grams carbohydrates
1 cup spaghetti squash = 6 grams carbohydrates

Not to mention the nutritional benefits of vegetables versus pasta.

There are different ways to cook spaghetti squash. My mom is a genius. She has a great microwave method I will share.

Stab your squash a few times. (It helps to stab it along the lines you will be cutting later.) Microwave on high for 12 minutes. Let it sit for five minutes in the microwave. Cut it open. Pull out the seeds & surrounding goop.  Use a fork & scrape all that yummy squash out of the inside edges into a serving dish.

Top with a simple spaghetti sauce (with lean ground beef for added protein.) Yum!  Perfect for a night when your in the mood for Italian.

No comments:

Post a Comment