Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Smoky BBQ Sauce for a Toasted Chicken Sandwich

I love barbeque sauce, but it's usually full of granulated sugar, corn syrup, etc.  Now, for sitting and watching the big game this weekend, I had my heart set on a nice barbeque sandwich. So I replaced a pulled chicken barbeque sandwich for the following:



Toasted BBQ Chicken Sandwich

1. Make the chicken.  I rubbed some bonesless skinless chicken breast with a little extra virgin olive oil and cooked it on high in a crock pot for 2 1/2 hours.  I put on the herbs and spices to my taste.  Do whatever you like for yours.  Lemon, oregano, basil, seasoned salt, etc.  Do whatever you like - the sky is the limit.

2. Choose your bread. 
Clean options for bread is difficult.  Sometimes, it's best to make your own, if you have a breadmaker.  If not, I prefer Ezekiel bread brand. You can taste the difference, and it will fill you up so much better than processed breads.  It is expensive, but that only encourages me to use bread a little more sparingly than I would otherwise. 

3.  Make some smoky barbeque sauce.
In a small saucepan mix together the following: 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, 1 1/2 tbsp Worchestershire sauce, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp salt (more or less to taste), and a few drops of liquid smoke.  Use medium heat, and heat till boiling.  The longer you boil, the thicker the sauce will be once it cools.  The maple syrup gives is and nice carmel-y flavor that I love.  It works well with the liquid smoke.  If you want a little extra kick - add a tiny pinch of ground red pepper.



4. Choose a cheese. 
Something with FLAVOR.  If it says mild - anything - NOT THAT ONE.  The more flavorful the cheese, the less you need to get a good tasting bite.  That means less calories and unhealthy fat.  Asiago, parmesan, etc.

5.  Don't forget the veggies & condiments.
Lettuce, onion, green pepper, red pepper, etc.  Even fresh spinach leaves can make a sandwich better.  I like adding mustard - it tastes good and has no calories.  Avoid high calorie, high fat, or sugar condiments like mayonaise and relish.

6. Build your sandwich & enjoy a clean eating treat!


No comments:

Post a Comment