Thursday, January 30, 2014

Chocolate Creamy Wheat

When I was a little girl my favorite breakfast was by far Cocoa Wheats. If I could've convinced my mother, we would have had it three meals a day, 7 days a week. It's perfect though isn't it - creamy, chocolatey, warm, & filling. Whenever I eat this it takes me back to my childhood, sitting at the kitchen table with my siblings enjoying the best breakfast ever. 

The way I prepare this breakfast now is just a little tweaked, but even more chocolatey. It is also a little cheaper than using brand name cocoa wheats & has a ton of protein.   I use Muscle milk protein powder, because I believe it tastes the best. It's a pretty expensive item, but it lasts a very long time. You should only purchase it once every 2-3 months. I add it to baked goods, hot cereals, smoothies, etc.  Adding extra protein to foods with high amounts of carbohydrate slows the break down of glucose in the blood stream, and prevents sugar from spiking too high after meals. 



1 1/2 tbsp creamy wheat (I use the Aldi brand.)
1/2 scoop of cookies & cream Muscle Milk protein powder (1/6 cup)
1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp pure vanilla
1/2 cup skim milk

Combine all ingredients except vanilla & follow the instructions on the Creamy Wheat box. Once cooked, add the vanilla. There is no need to add sugar. The sweetness from the protein powder is more than sufficient. 

Plus my favorite thing about this recipe, you can combine the main dry ingredients & heat them up in the microwave at work. 



No comments:

Post a Comment