Saturday, January 25, 2014

Eggs - Quick & Flavorful



My nephew spent the night. He's a growing boy, so this morning I made chocolate cream of wheat, scrambled eggs, & toast. Like I said, he's growing like a weed, so I tried to make breakfast tasty & filling. I used protein powder to make the cream of wheat and added just a few things to the scrambled eggs for flavor. I also cooked with skim milk to add protein, calcium, and make it just a little creamier. 

Scrambled Eggs

3 eggs
1 tbsp skim milk
Salt 
Pepper
Pinch of cinnamon
1 tsp shredded Asiago or Parmesan cheese

Whisk together all ingredients except cheese. Spray a small frying pan with an oil sprayer. Cook the eggs stirring as needed (not too much) till eggs are cooked & fluffy. 

Remove from heat & sprinkle with cheese. Cover till cheese is melted.

I love adding cinnamon to eggs. Cinnamon adds a warm flavor with some sweetness. It makes ordinary, gourmet. Plus eggs that have been whisked in the bowl, not over-stirred in the pan, those are the ones that turn out fluffy & light on the plate. Using a strong flavored cheese has a nice contrast against the eggs & cinnamon. 

I served this with toasted Ezekiel bread & no added sugar fruit spread. 
 
I have a few tricks for making cream of wheat a little more filling & creamier, but I'll save that recipe for another post.


No comments:

Post a Comment