Saturday, March 15, 2014

Vegan Tofu Scramble Breakfast Burrito

Ah, lazy Saturday. My good friend. We meet again. 

This lazy morning I felt like something that would really "stick to my ribs" but preferably not hang out there till the end of time (or worse, move south to my gut). And so I decided to try a tofu scramble. Once I decided to try go without meat or dairy, this was something I researched. I am not much of a meat eater but I'm an egg lover for sure. Tofu scramble is the vegan answer to scrambled eggs. And I'm happy to report this morning's experiment did not disappoint. 

This recipe serves two, and one burrito is enough for a small woman. I had mine with a half of a grapefruit (it was a colossal grapefruit though). I didn't feel hungry again for hours. It really hit the spot.


3 oz firm tofu, crumbled
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 small onion, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
1/2 orange pepper, diced
1 large leaf Swiss Chard
Half a dozen grape tomatoes, chopped
1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
Sprinkle of garlic powder
Dash of paprika
Dash of turmeric
1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Splash of reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp fresh cilantro 
2 Ekekiel brand large tortillas
1 tbsp tofutti sour cream substitute 

1. Sauté vegetables & tofu in olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add spices, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, & cilantro, and cook an additional five minutes till done. 
3. Build burrito with tofu mix & add 1/2 tbsp tofutti to each one.

One thing I noticed is that it's easier to crumble if you cut it into blocks first.


I measured my oil to really get a good idea what I was using. As you can see, a little goes a long way. This is just 1/2 tsp in the picture. I added another as I cooked.


The tomatoes, peppers, onions, & tofu not only taste good, but they look nice. Despite this, it just wasn't colorful enough for me, so I added some Swiss chard (another good green here would be spinach) that I had on hand. How something looks does help make it more appetizing. Besides that green is my favorite color.  


After letting this cook a few minutes I added the spices and sauces. 
The nutritional yeast & turmeric are what will make your tofu the more appetizing yellow color of traditional scrambled eggs. Add it sparingly. You can use the tiny palmful method with your turmeric but after this my hand turned yellow. I'm still waiting for it to wear off comepletely. 



Do not add salt until after you've added your sauces. I used reduced sodium soy sauce & even with that I felt I didn't need any additional salt. 


At this point I felt like it was still missing something, so I added some fresh cilantro & that was perfect! 


Once it's all cooked, I scooped it out onto a big ole tortilla. Cause this is not one of those eat a teensy tiny portion diets. I do not believe in deprivation dieting. It's just winding up the yo-yo.
I added tofutti sour cream substitute as a garnish & because the Ezekiel brand tortillas can be a little dry. 


This tasted really nice. There wasn't even a hint of that pungent soy aftertaste you are always afraid of when using tofu. It was salty, a little creamy, & the cilantro really added the hint of freshness to round out the taste. I would serve this with fruit so you can have something sweet to enjoy it with.  

Perfect for my first lazy Saturday breakfast eating vegan. 




No comments:

Post a Comment