Tuesday, March 18, 2014

My Favorite Vinegarette

I had a BIG lunch.  Even eating no meat, processed foods, or dairy - there are ways to do it.  I had a big ole bowl of chili, some delicious peanut honey butter fudge, and strawberries.  I'm still pretty stuffed.  So tonight, a very light salad is in order.  Not only will this take care of my need for yummy leafy greens, but it will also give me an opportuniity to try my favorite thing that I learned to make in France.  Vinegarette.



1 tbsp good mustard
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
Dash of salt
Pinch of pepper
Sprinkle of basil (optional)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

1. Mix together all ingredients except the oil.
2. Add oil in a steady, thin stream while whisking in one direction.  Don't change direction or it wont mix properly.


This is the mustard I use. You can substitute with Dijon. It has a stronger flavor. I love this one though. It's available as a seasonal item at Aldi's. It's great for recipes & as a condiment. Yum!


I use a whisk to stir. It's the best way to get your oil combined into the dressing. Plus I adore whisks.  They are the chocolate of kitchen tools. No, you don't use them for every meal, but don't you wish you could...



If this is too tangy for you - add a drizzle of agave nectar.  Add extra salt as needed.  This is a great dressing and makes even plain old lettuce anything but boring.


No comments:

Post a Comment