Saturday, March 8, 2014

Belgian Waffles

I have been pretty lazy lately when it comes to blogging. I don't have an excuse for that except general laziness & sickness. I'm getting over the flu & a sinus infection which oddly enough do not put me in the mood to cook. I've been on an antibiotic for a week now, & today for the first time, I've had an appetite. So waking up a little lazily still, I wanted Belgian waffles. I make these on Saturday mornings, when I have time.  Oddly enough waffle makers are easy to find at garage sales. A lot of people buy waffle makers and never use them. I don't use my too often but with this recipe I can make them a couple times  a month & not feel guilty at all. 

2 large eggs
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 scoops cookies & cream muscle milk
1 1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 - 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tbsp honey
4 tsp baking powder 
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp pure vanilla

Mix all the ingredients together till the batter is to the right consistency. It should pour easily. 


Follow the instructions on your waffle maker to cook the batter.


These are very light & fluffy which is why I refer to them as "Begian" even though they aren't made with egg whites & yeast. They still have a nice airy texture so I am using that term with a little of your indulgence. The vanilla & cookies & cream flavor make it taste very sweet. I serve it with fresh strawberry slices & a 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup. It's much lower calorie than drowning it in a high fructose corn syrup based syrup. It's got a lot of flavor so it doesn't need butter or margarine.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment