Sunday, March 16, 2014

Simple Chocolate Protein Shake



I started this recipe with a desire to make ice cream. But then I remembered I didn't want to work very hard tonight, and thus the milkshake idea was born. It's super easy, quick, and really delicious. If you're craving sweet, chocolate, or ice cream this will hit the spot - without any added sugar. 

I always keep at least a few bananas in the freezer. It's a throw back from the first few days after my diagnosis. I was afraid I would never be able to eat ice cream again (many tubs of Ben & Jerry's, along with a few extra inches on my waistline later - I think we've safely proved that theory wrong.) Of course at the time, naive little diabetic that I was, I didn't know that. I had read that if you put frozen banana chunks in the food processor, it tastes like ice cream (which it does - it's pretty good. Just FYI.) Since then, when I have bananas that are super ripe, if I'm not in the mood to make some banana bread, into the freezer they go. I highly recommend this practice, because you never know when the mood will strike & you will need an ice cream fix. 

Combine together in a blender: 
 
1 chopped frozen banana
1 scoop (1/3 cup) cookies & cream protein powder 
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 cup unsweetened soy milk
Pinch of salt



Blend at high speed till thoroughly mixed. The texture will be thick - thanks to the bananas. It has the feel of a milkshake made from ice cream thanks to the fruit having been frozen. There is absolutely no need for any sugar at all! The banana & sweetness from the protein powder are more than plenty. I also add a pinch (just the tiniest pinch) of salt. Most sweet things need that little hint of savory-even though you don't taste the salt, the overall flavor is better for it being there. 



This shake is especially good for when you need something substantial, but have no time for a meal.  It has 350 calories (it's a big one, 16 oz., give or take, depending on the size of that banana). 38 grams of carbohydrate, 9 grams of fiber, 11 grams of fat, and 26 grams of protein. So if you're just wanting a quick treat, divide the recipe in half or share with a friend. 



I dare you to try and feel deprived while sipping this chocolatey-malty-yumminess. And unlike the Ben & Jerry's version, all the fiber & protein will keep you feeling satisfied for a long time. Not to mention giving you plenty of energy without a sugar rush.


Why are you still reading this? You should be freezing bananas.. ;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment