Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies

Since I decided to go eggless till my next cholesterol test, my clean chocolate chip recipe (find the original recipe here) is no longer permissible. That test is not until July. July.  I am not waiting till JULY for another chocolate chip cookie!!!! That is just wrong. And a little mean. So I made this remake of the recipe, and I actually like it better. What eggs do for cookies is add binding. Egg whites can help batter rise. And it adds moisture. So to ensure that these elements were not lost, I increased the oil, (the recipe already uses applesauce but if it didn't I would have added that too), soy milk, and a little baking powder. It turned out great. I loved the texture, moisture, and sweetness. To make this recipe truly vegan, you need to replace the honey with agave nectar. I prefer the flavor of honey, so that's what I used.

Of course the best part of this eggless recipe is that you can eat the cookie dough.
Which I do.
;-)

1/2 cup honey (agave nectar if making a vegan version)
1/4 cup coconut sugar (optional)
3/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce 
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 scoop protein powder
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dark (or semi-sweet) chocolate chip
1/4 cup soy milk

1. Preheat the oven to 375. 
2. Mix together the honey, coconut sugar, oil, applesauce, vanilla, and soy milk.
3. Mix together the remaining dry ingredients except chips.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry & mix well. Add the chips. 
5. Put the batter onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. 
6. Bake for 5-8 minutes. 
7 Enjoy!


No eggs, but you can tell that the batter will work by the way it holds together but isn't too dry. At this point, taste the batter! (This is why eggless batters can be so much better - the more you can taste your food the batter... I apologize for that blatant use of a bad pun. I just couldn't help myself.) It should taste sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. It will get sweeter during baking. You should be able to taste the flour, it shouldn't be grainy or dry. 


Adding the chocolate chips will also add to the sweetness. And aren't they so pretty... Oh, chocolate. You make everything better.


I adore parchment paper. It's like magic. Nothing sticks to it. The only thing that annoys me about it, is when you cut it & spread it on the cookie sheet & it curls ups like Christmas ribbon. I don't have a lot of patience, so until the LORD had finished His challenging work in teaching it to me, I reserve what I have for things more important than parchment paper. (Basically that means I spray the pan with  a little cooking spray so it doesn't curl up on me.)


You're so pretty, my little friends.


Take the cookies out when they have golden edges & the bottoms should be golden brown as well. 


Finally - eat & enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment