Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Vegan Burritos with Creamy Lava Sauce


Who's in the mood for Mexican? I am. It's all my co-workers faults. They kept talking about getting lunch at Don Pablo's today & that put the idea in my head. Of course, once it was there, I could think of little else. My head is annoying that way. So Mexican for lunch became my menu. 

Mexican on my plant based, near vegan, whole foods diet isn't easy. Mostly because of dairy. You can leave the ground beef out of a burrito, but cheese?!?! And sour cream? No way. I did manage to figure something out that was even better. 
Lava sauce. 

It's like a creamy spicy bolt of flavor.  They used it on volcano tacos at Taco Bell for awhile till it was removed from the menu - a little piece of my heart died that day.  I made my own simple version of it for my lunch today. You can play with your own recipes of it. Make it as hot or mild as you choose. 

The other food thing about vegan burritos - quick & easy. No meat means no standing over the stove browning ground round, my friends. 

1 large Ezekiel brand tortilla
1/2 cup organic refried black beans
3-4 tbsp organic salsa (hot, medium, or mild - your choice)
2 tbsp tofutti, better than cream cheese 
1 tbsp diced fresh onion
1/2 tsp (more or less to taste) taco seasoning
Salt & pepper

1. Heat up your beans. 



I was at work, so I just heated them up in the microwave. I have at least two or three microwave safe bowls that I can use at work when I need them. 


Don't let the word "organic" in the recipe ingredient list scare your wallet. You can get plenty of organic items with the Meyer offbrand quite inexpensively.




Just be sure to read the ingredients list, to make sure that there aren't any added sugars or chemicals.

2. To make your lava sauce, simply heat the tofutti in the microwave for approximately 5 to 10 seconds - just long enough to make it easy to stir. Then add your taco seasonings & mix well.


You don't have to use taco seasonings from the packet. It's a simple enough to make on your own. All it takes is: chili powder, cumin, paprika, ground red pepper (if you like it spicy), garlic powder, and onion powder. I made this at work, where it's much easier to use a packet of seasoning rather than have a lot of spice jars lying around. 

3. Build your burrito. 


Add as much salsa as you like, it is very healthy and full of flavor, not to mention low on calories (only 5 per tablespoon!). I like to sprinkle fresh diced onions at the end. Adds a nice kick.

4. Finally fold up and enjoy! 
 
 By the way, if your tortilla is giving you trouble staying folded, just take some of that yummy gooey filling, and use it like a little dab of glue. 


(If that doesn't work - I'm out of ideas - just hold it down until you get the dumb thing eaten.) 



Add some fruit and steamable veggies, and you're never more than 10 minutes away from a delicious vegan Mexican meal. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment