Saturday, July 30, 2016

Acorn Squash Lasagna

I love ooey gooey lasagna. When I'm not cooking clean, I make a cheesy white sauce that I combine with creamy cheese, a bolognaise sauce dripping with meaty goodness, and absolutely carbolicious pasta. That tastes so good, but it is just not worth the addition to my waistline. Plus one cup of lasagna might fill me up, (might not, pasta made with white flour - not super filling) but I go back for more to enjoy the ooey gooey goodness. Next thing you know, I've overeaten and I've overeaten with a really high calorie meal! It's pretty easy to get one whole day's worth of calories in just one meal when you have that kind of lasagna.

I'm willing to forego the extra inches on my waistline, but NOT my lasagna! I have to have my cheesy serving of yumminess, and thanks to God's great creation ACORN SQUASH, I still can.

I wouldn't describe this as ooey gooey, but it is cheesilicious and VERY tasty!




Ingredients:

1 acorn squash
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 medium yellow onion
1 cup meatless spaghetti squash
Herbes de Province (to taste, or if you don't have that substitute with thyme and rosemary)
Garlic powder to taste
1 cup 1% lowfat cottage cheese, slightly drained
2 oz lowfat feta cheese
2-4 tbsp freshly grated parmesan
Worcestershire sauce to taste
Salt

1. Notice that there isn't any pasta. Pasta is a no-no, and whole grain pastas aren't my favorite. I prefer to replace that gluten bomb with something with more flavor and less calories. ACORN SQUASH
Just slice a squash into thin slices.



2. Brush each side with extra virgin olive oil (about 1/2 tbsp), and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with garlic powder, herbes de province, and salt.



3. Next roast these in an oven preheated to 450, for about 15-20 minutes, until it's good an crispy on the bottom.


3 1/2. If you don't have any spaghetti sauce, or are nervous about buying something not "clean", just whip some up while the squash is cooking. Mix together a couple can of tomato juice, some tomato paste (probably about a can - add for your desired consistency), herbs (basil, herbes de province, oregano, italian seasoning, one, some or all of these work), salt, and something sweet like pure maple syrup or honey. Tomato juice is really acidic, so if you don't add some sweetness, it gets a metallic-y taste to it, almost like you dropped a nickel in your sauce. A little honey or syrup will take that away. Let it cook till boiling, then turn it down to simmer while the rest of your meal is cooking.



4. While the squash is in the oven, slice and cook the onions over medium-low heat on the stove with a touch of extra virgin olive oil and a splash of worchestershire sauce.


5. Build your lasagna!! Start with the squash:


Onion:



Sauce:



Cottage cheese:



Feta cheese:



Repeat another layer just like this 
(one squash should be enough to do two layers in an 8x8 casserole dish)





 6. On the last layer sprinkle some freshly grated parmesan over the top, and put in an oven preheated to 375 for half an hour.




Take it out of the oven when the liquid on the side is bubbling nicely. 




 You can enjoy this with a spoon, because the vegetables will cut easily. The sweetness of the roasted squash will pair nicely with a good spaghetti sauce, and the salty cheese will contrast really nicely with it, too. I sprinkled parsley over the top for a little bit of color, but it isn't necessary. Make sure you have a big glass of water to enjoy this with!! As long as you let it cook to the right doneness - PERFECT amount of sauce/liquid! 

This has almost HALF the calories of regular lasagna. Oh yeah - I can live with that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment