Thursday, July 24, 2014

Clean Cottage Grilled Cheese

This is one I've contemplated making for awhile. I LOVE grilled cheese, but it's so caloric! That crunchy crusty bread. That gooey creamy cheese. So delicious but so fattening. My best friend & worst enemy all rolled into one. My dietician recently suggested that I add lowfat cream cheese to my diet as an alternative to meat. It's very versatile & adds a lot to many recipes. The best thing about it is that lowfat versions or skim taste very good. I added sharp cheddar cheese to get that satisfying gooeyness, but since the bulk of the cheese is lowfat cottage, the calorie count is still fairly low. 



I only made the recipe for a half sandwich. It's pretty high in protein so a half sandwich is all you need for a snack. Just multiply the ingredients to accommodate the amount that you need. 

1 slice Ezekiel bread 
1/8 cup skim or lowfat cottage cheese
1/2 ounce extra sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of basil
Dash of salt 

1. Mix together basil, salt, and cottage cheese.


2. Brush the bread with olive oil, and sprinkle with a little bit of salt.



3. Cut the cheddar into a very thin slice. This way it will be spread out over the length of the bread. 


4. Spread cottage cheese over the cheddar. Put in the oven & broil a few minutes on each side.


Enjoy!

165 calories

17 g carbohydrate
3 g fiber
11 g protein
7 g fat



No comments:

Post a Comment